Alchemy & Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you feel the energies around you? Can you interact with them in ways unknown? Come share & connect with others of your kind!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
****Want Your Website Here? Contact Us!****
We Have TONS of Sub Directories! ---- Don`t Forget To Hunt Down These Lovely Hidden Gems.
Spring is coming.....How do you celebrate Ostara?

Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Absinthe Angel
Admin
Absinthe Angel

Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments   Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments EmptyFri 09 Jul 2010, 1:48 am

So my hubby Matt has had this low grade annoying flu bug for the past two weeks along with a dry, annoying, unproductive cough. Since we have pretty crapy health insurance he didn't want to go to the doctor and add more to our already building bill. So I set about to pulling together some herbs for a cough remedy.

My first attempt was the Cough Be Gone & Sore Throat Syrup recipe out of Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal.

It called for fennel, licorice root, slippery elm, valerian, wild cherry bark, cinnimon bark, ginger root and orange peel. I didn't have any wild cherry bark but I went ahead and made it anyway. It soothes his throat and calmed the cough but only for about 20 minutes. I guessed that either the wild cherry was a key ingredient. But also after assessing him further I realized that he most likely needed more of an expectorant syrup. So I went back to work.

I have plently or Horehound on hand as I have a very healthy plant. But I could only find recipes for a straight single ingredient syrup. Not what I wanted. So back to the books! My final recipe ended up containing horehound, passionflower, valerian, mallowroot, anise, wild yam, peppermint, ginger and basil. After making a strong decoction, I sweetened and thickened it with local organic honey.

So far he has been using this for 3 days with good success. He gets about 3-4 hours cough relief from a single tablespoon dosage. And he is also feeling much better overall health wise. Now, he has also been taking daily doses of the afore mentioned Astragalus tincture. So, it may be the combination of the two giving him the feeling of overall wellness. But either way, I'll take the results!

Here is a picture of the finished syrup.
Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments Horehound_syrup1_012010

Last edited by Absinthe Angel on Fri 09 Jul 2010, 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://valhallasoap.com

Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments   Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments EmptyFri 09 Jul 2010, 8:06 am

Great recipe! When my kids were little I used to make a simple cough syrup of wild cherry bark, slippery elm and chamomile, had a "Magick" Bombilla tea straw with jewels on it they only got to use when drinking medicinal teas, made it so they wanted to take it!..lol

see one here
Artisan Yerba Mate Gourd and Bombilla Straw
http://www.herbs-teas.com/item/Artisan-Yerba-Mate-Gourd-and-Bombilla-Straw-458
Back to top Go down

Herbal Cough Syrup Experiments
Page 1 of 1